Wazobia Reporters – we cover the nation | news | entertainment | education | foreign | business | sports

Atiku Rules Out 2031 Run, Calls 2027 His Final Race

The presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Atiku Abubakar, has said he will not seek the presidency again if he fails to win the 2027 election.

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads

The former Vice-President made the declaration during an interview conducted in Hausa on Wednesday while responding to questions about his plans beyond the next presidential election.

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads

Atiku, who has contested the Nigerian presidency several times, said he had already made up his mind that the 2027 election would be his last attempt at becoming President.

LIST OF APPLICATIONS FOR REGULARISATION OF AREA COUNCIL LAND DOCUMENTS NULLIFIED/CANCELLED BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF FCT

His position effectively rules out a possible 2031 presidential bid should he lose the 2027 contest.

The ADC candidate also called on Nigerians who have Permanent Voter Cards to participate actively in the 2027 election, urging them not only to cast their ballots but also to remain at their polling units until the votes are counted.

He said voters should take the election seriously because their participation could help determine how the country is governed and address some of the challenges facing citizens.

Atiku also advised voters to ensure that their ballots were properly counted after voting, stressing that participation should not end immediately after a ballot is cast.

The former Vice-President was also asked about his physical fitness and ability to govern the country if elected in 2027.

In response, Atiku said he was in good health and capable of carrying out the responsibilities of the presidency.

He said he had not been declared medically unfit by any doctor and maintained that he had no health condition that would prevent him from serving as President.

Atiku’s decision to make 2027 his final presidential contest comes as political parties and candidates intensify preparations for the election.

The former Vice-President has been involved in Nigerian politics for several decades and has made multiple attempts to secure the presidency.

His latest declaration has also drawn reactions from supporters within the ADC, with the ADC Vanguard describing the decision as an indication that the 2027 election could be the last opportunity for Nigerians to elect Atiku as President.

The group said Atiku’s political career had involved several presidential contests and periods of defeat before returning to compete again.

It argued that the 2027 election would therefore carry additional importance because of Atiku’s decision not to return to the presidential race after the contest.

The group also pointed to Atiku’s experience in national politics and his long involvement in governance as factors voters could consider when assessing the candidates.

With the 2027 presidential election approaching, Atiku’s declaration is expected to shape discussions around the ADC campaign and the wider opposition effort to challenge President Bola Tinubu and the ruling All Progressives Congress.

The former Vice-President is now seeking support for what he has described as his final attempt at securing the Nigerian presidency.

Comments are closed.