Wazobia Reporters – we cover the nation | news | entertainment | education | foreign | business | sports

Nurses Suspend Strike After Meeting With Federal Government

The National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) has called off its seven-day warning strike following a meeting with the Federal Government on Friday.

Sponsored Ads

Minister of Health, Professor Ali Pate, confirmed the suspension while briefing journalists after a closed-door session with union leaders in Abuja. He said the decision came after both parties reached an agreement, though details of the resolution were not disclosed.

LIST OF APPLICATIONS FOR REGULARISATION OF AREA COUNCIL LAND DOCUMENTS NULLIFIED/CANCELLED BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF FCT

Union leaders declined to speak to the press after the meeting.

LIST OF APPLICATIONS FOR REGULARISATION OF AREA COUNCIL LAND DOCUMENTS NULLIFIED/CANCELLED BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF FCT

The strike, which began on July 29, 2025, was originally set to run until August 5. It was launched in response to the government’s failure to meet a 15-day ultimatum issued earlier on July 14.

Nurses in public health institutions across the country had downed tools over poor welfare, unfair allowances, and substandard working conditions. The union had accused the federal government of ignoring repeated calls for improved treatment of nurses in federal hospitals.

Before the suspension, NANNM National Chairman, Morakinyo Rilwan, said the government did not make any serious effort to engage during the negotiation window.

At the time of this report, the full terms of the agreement that led to the suspension of the strike have not been made public.

Comments are closed.