Wazobia Reporters – we cover the nation | news | entertainment | education | foreign | business | sports

Gunmen Invade Mosques, Abduct Worshippers in Niger

Gunmen have reportedly attacked several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, abducting an unspecified number of worshippers shortly after Friday prayers.

The attacks were reported in Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida and Masaka communities, raising fresh concerns about the security situation in the area.

The federal lawmaker representing Borgu, Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu, confirmed the incidents in an interview monitored by the BBC.

He said the exact number of people taken by the attackers remained unknown, adding that several residents were also attacked with machetes during the invasion.

According to the lawmaker, the gunmen first entered Dekara shortly after the Friday prayers and surrounded a mosque where worshippers were still gathered.

The attackers reportedly forced some of the worshippers into the surrounding forest before moving to nearby communities to carry out similar attacks.

Shetiman Borgu said youths and heads of households were among those abducted, while some residents managed to escape from the attackers despite sustaining injuries.

The attacks reportedly spread across the four communities, with residents said to have been taken shortly after completing their prayers.

The latest incident has increased fears among residents of Borgu, an area that shares boundaries with Kebbi and Kwara states as well as the Republic of Benin.

The lawmaker said some forests in the area had become hideouts for armed groups suspected to belong to Lakurawa and Mamudawa.

He also disclosed that there were reports of disagreement between members of the two groups following the attacks on the worshippers.

According to him, some members of the groups reportedly opposed the decision to enter mosques and abduct people, leading to clashes among them.

The circumstances surrounding the reported disagreement could not be independently established, while it also remained unclear which of the groups was responsible for the abductions.

The lawmaker said authorities were considering the possibility that the attackers targeted young people for recruitment into their groups.

Lakurawa has previously been reported to operate in parts of the region, with members allegedly engaging residents through religious preaching and imposing restrictions based on their interpretation of Islamic teachings.

The group has been associated with campaigns against activities such as alcohol consumption, adultery and theft, while also calling on residents to observe its version of Islamic law.

The latest attacks come amid continuing security concerns in Niger State, particularly in communities located close to forests and border areas where armed groups can operate with limited access by security forces.

More than 20 people were reportedly killed in parts of Borgu Local Government Area in the previous week, further worsening fears among residents.

Borgu has also experienced major abduction incidents in the past. In November 2025, gunmen reportedly abducted more than 200 pupils in Papiri, with the children eventually released after spending about a month in captivity.

The latest mosque attacks have therefore renewed calls for stronger security measures in Borgu and neighbouring communities, particularly around vulnerable settlements and forest routes used by criminal groups.

Security agencies are expected to intensify efforts to locate the abducted worshippers, identify those responsible for the attacks and prevent further incursions into communities in the area.

Comments are closed.