Wazobia Reporters – we cover the nation | news | entertainment | education | foreign | business | sports

Gunshots as Hoodlums Attack Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

Gunshots were reportedly fired near the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday as suspected hoodlums clashed with security personnel at the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke received his certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission and proceeded to the monarch’s palace to celebrate his electoral victory.

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads

Sources at the palace said the suspected hoodlums had gathered around the area in an unregistered Toyota Sienna before the governor’s arrival.

LIST OF APPLICATIONS FOR REGULARISATION OF AREA COUNCIL LAND DOCUMENTS NULLIFIED/CANCELLED BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF FCT

According to the sources, an argument reportedly broke out among some of the men before gunfire erupted. The reason for the disagreement and the person or group targeted could not immediately be established.

A shop owner near the palace, Laide Misture, said gunshots began shortly after the governor and members of his entourage entered the palace.

Misture said the suspected attackers fired from within the main gate, prompting the governor’s security personnel inside the palace to respond.

The shooting reportedly lasted for about three minutes before the hoodlums fled the area in their vehicle. They reportedly escaped before the governor’s convoy could leave the palace.

The incident caused tension around the palace as security personnel moved to secure the area and protect the governor and other members of his entourage.

The state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that gunshots were fired as the governor’s team was leaving the palace.

Alimi said the governor’s security personnel engaged the suspected hoodlums but added that the exact circumstances that triggered the shooting remained unclear.

He said officials only became aware of an altercation involving different groups outside the palace before the gunfire broke out.

The commissioner said authorities had yet to establish what caused the disagreement or identify the groups involved in the confrontation.

No official information on casualties or arrests had been released as of the time of filing this report.

Comments are closed.