A Magistrate Court in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, has ordered the remand of a disqualified governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress, Abimbola Olajumoke, in prison custody for one month over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberbullying and kidnapping.

Sponsored Ads
The case was brought before the court by the Chief Executive Officer of YSJ Agro-Allied Limited, Yemisi Joluwe, who accused Olajumoke of making statements that allegedly damaged her reputation and that of her company.

Sponsored Ads
Chief Magistrate Abayin Adeosun had previously granted Olajumoke bail but later withdrew the order after she failed to appear before the court at the next scheduled hearing.
Following her failure to attend the proceedings, she was arrested and taken into custody. The court subsequently ordered that she remain in prison custody for one month.
The magistrate adjourned further proceedings in the case until September 15.
Joluwe, while speaking about the case, said she decided to seek legal redress because of what she described as false claims allegedly made against YSJ Agro-Allied Limited and the effect of the accusations on the company’s reputation and employees.
She said the company accepts legitimate criticism and public scrutiny but would not allow what it considers false allegations to damage the business and the confidence of its investors, workers and customers.
According to Joluwe, the statements attributed to Olajumoke went beyond ordinary criticism and were allegedly made in a manner capable of harming the company’s reputation.
She said the company was seeking legal action not only to protect its name but also to establish accountability for statements made against legitimate businesses, particularly in an era when information can spread rapidly through social media.
Joluwe said the court case had not disrupted the daily activities of YSJ Farms, adding that the company remained focused on agriculture, food production and its youth empowerment programmes in Ekiti State.
She, however, acknowledged that dealing with what she described as false claims had required the company to spend time reassuring its partners, employees and other stakeholders.
The YSJ Agro-Allied boss said the company’s main objective was to have what she described as the truth established through the judicial process. She said the company was seeking a retraction of the alleged statements, a public apology and compensation for the damage it claimed to have suffered.
Joluwe also spoke about reports concerning an alleged kidnapping incident linked to the farm.
She said YSJ Farms maintains a working relationship with security agencies and the Ekiti State Government to protect its employees and participants involved in its agricultural programmes.
According to her, security agencies are investigating allegations concerning Olajumoke’s reported involvement in the alleged kidnapping and murder of a member of the company’s staff.
She said the company would allow the investigation and court process to run their course while continuing to cooperate with the relevant authorities.
Joluwe said the safety of workers and young people participating in the company’s programmes remained a priority for the organisation.
She added that the company took steps to reassure its employees and their families after the allegations became public, while security measures were strengthened across its farm locations.
The company said its youth participants remained at the farms and continued their agricultural activities, describing the programme as part of its efforts to support young people and contribute to food production in Ekiti State.
The court is expected to resume proceedings on September 15, when further developments in the case are expected.

Comments are closed.