Wazobia Reporters – we cover the nation | news | entertainment | education | foreign | business | sports

Xenophobia: FG to Evacuate 83 Nigerians from South Africa

The Federal Government has announced plans to bring another 83 Nigerians back from South Africa amid concerns over attacks and discrimination against foreigners in the country.

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads

The returnees are expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Nigerians would travel aboard South African Airways from Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg. The flight is scheduled to leave at about 3:35 pm South African time and arrive in Lagos around 8:45 pm.

LIST OF APPLICATIONS FOR REGULARISATION OF AREA COUNCIL LAND DOCUMENTS NULLIFIED/CANCELLED BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF FCT

According to the ministry, the latest evacuation was made possible through the support of private individuals who provided and sponsored flight tickets for the returnees.

The development follows the Federal Government’s voluntary repatriation exercise, which has already brought nearly 1,490 Nigerians back from South Africa amid growing concerns over Afrophobia, anti-foreigner sentiments and attacks.

The ministry said the government remained committed to protecting Nigerians living abroad and ensuring their safety and dignity.

It added that Nigerians in the diaspora remained important to the country’s development and that the government would continue to provide assistance whenever they faced serious consular challenges.

The ministry also appealed to private companies, state governments, corporate organisations and other Nigerians to support efforts aimed at assisting citizens facing emergencies outside the country.

It said the government would continue discussions and cooperation with South African authorities and other relevant partners to address the causes of Afrophobia and reduce cases of discrimination and violence against Nigerians.

Meanwhile, South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has announced September 30 as a new deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.

The group made the announcement during a protest in Durban held alongside the 46th Ordinary Summit of the Southern African Development Community.

March and March had previously organised nationwide protests on June 30, calling for stronger government action against undocumented migrants.

The group said it would continue its campaign and demanded the removal of foreigners who it alleged were staying in South Africa without valid documents.

The latest protest has further increased attention on South Africa’s handling of immigration and the treatment of foreign nationals, particularly citizens from other African countries.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has previously criticised violence and discrimination against foreigners, saying such treatment was inconsistent with efforts to promote cooperation and integration among African countries.

The renewed tension has also prompted some African governments to assist their citizens in leaving South Africa, while calls continue for authorities to address both illegal immigration and attacks against foreign nationals.

Comments are closed.