Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s account.

Sponsored Ads
Adeleke, who secured another four-year term in Saturday’s governorship election, said he decided to withdraw the case following an intervention by President Bola Tinubu.

Sponsored Ads
The governor disclosed this on Sunday during an interview with Channels Television, saying the President had contacted him over the matter and intervened in the dispute.
Adeleke said he considered the President’s intervention sufficient reason to discontinue the legal action, noting that Tinubu may not have been aware of the circumstances surrounding the EFCC’s decision to place restrictions on the state account.
The governor, however, alleged that former Osun State Governor Gboyega Oyetola was behind the EFCC’s action. Adeleke claimed that Oyetola, whom he described as a cousin of the President, had been using Tinubu’s name in connection with the matter.
Adeleke said he believed Tinubu became aware of the situation only after the controversy emerged and subsequently contacted him.
The dispute began earlier in August when Adeleke accused the EFCC of planning to freeze the state government’s accounts ahead of the August 15 governorship election. He alleged that such a move could disrupt the operations of the state government and affect the election period.
The EFCC later placed a post-no-debit restriction on the statutory allocation account of the Osun State Government. The agency said the action was taken after it detected large transfers from the account to various corporate entities and wanted to prevent the possible diversion of public funds.
EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale said the commission acted to protect public funds after observing what it considered suspicious financial movements.
The development generated political controversy because it occurred shortly before the governorship election, with Adeleke questioning the timing of the EFCC action.
President Tinubu had earlier expressed concern about the timing of the commission’s intervention while acknowledging the agency’s authority to carry out its duties under a court order.
With Adeleke now directing the withdrawal of the suit, the immediate legal dispute between the Osun State Government and the EFCC is expected to end, following the President’s intervention.

Comments are closed.